Heather Geier, LMSW
Supervised by Mayan Herman, LCSW-S
"We do not learn from experience... we learn from reflecting on experience." - John Dewey
Hello and welcome. Whether you’re considering therapy for the first time or are an old pro in a therapeutic setting, I’m so glad that you’re taking this meaningful step for yourself. Taking this leap requires strength; strength that we can build on in our sessions together. I’ve learned from experience that finding the right therapist who fits your needs and personality is critical to actually achieving your emotional goals.
That being said, you may be wondering what to expect out of a therapy session. Here are the commitments I make to you:
1. You will be welcomed by someone who is calm, open-minded, and able to meet you in whatever state of mind you are experiencing that day.
2. Your experience here will be tailored to your unique situation. Patience and flexibility are foundational elements of my practice. But most importantly…
3. Our space is a place for you to feel safe and heard. You’re the expert of your life; I’m just here to help you navigate it.
I begin all of my therapeutic relationships with these commitments because they are the building blocks of a trusting partnership, which is key to achieving progress.
1. I’ve formed my therapeutic approach from a diversity of experiences and an ongoing commitment to learning, which has included: 12 years working with individuals, families, and couples on issues including grief and loss, anxiety and depression, trauma, chronic illness, life transitions, and caregiver stress.
2. A blending of cognitive-behavioral therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, and mindfulness modalities.
3. Obtaining my Master in Social Work from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2013.
4. A constant and deliberate examination of my own biases and identity.
In my life outside therapy, I strive for the same balance I encourage in those I work with. For me, this means spending time in nature, playing board games with friends, practicing mindfulness and meditation, reading on patios, cooking nourishing meals, and enjoying all the art shows, music, and comedy Austin has to offer.
If you’re ready to work together towards balance and achieving your emotional goals, please contact me at 512-201-4501 x 353 or schedule through the Therapy Austin website.
Want help finding a great counselor? Call us at (512) 201-4501 ext. 1 or share your contact info below and we'll call you.
Area of Expertise
Open-minded, warm, and direct
Person-centered, trauma-informed, and collaborative approach
Grief and loss, anxiety, depression, chronic illness, life transitions
Techniques & Experience
Mayan Herman, LPC-S
303 Camp Craft Road Suite 300
Austin, TX 78746